Student Association to censure sexy party?

The Student Representative Council (SRC) will be debating a motion for today’s open meeting condemning the St Andrews Global Investment Group’s (GIG) ‘Blackout’ event Following its successful SHAG  Week, the […]

The Student Representative Council (SRC) will be debating a motion for today’s open meeting condemning the St Andrews Global Investment Group’s (GIG) ‘Blackout’ event

Following its successful SHAG  Week, the Student Representative Council (SRC)  will be debating a motion for today’s open meeting condemning the St Andrews Global Investment Group’s (GIG) ‘Blackout’ event, which has attracted students’ attention this week with its eye-catching advertisements.

The motion, proposed by Director of Representation Sam Fowles, appears to allude to Blackout’s raunchy posters when it cites multiple studies to show why “increased sexualisation of both women and men in order to sell goods is socially harmful” (like that wasn’t pretty evident already).

In an interview with The Stand Fowles stated he was against “both the advertising campaign and the event itself.”

St Andrews’ GIG did not wish to comment. 

While many 14 year-old boys would find posters of women in underwear attractive, it has led some, including fourth year James, to wonder, “what were the last 90 years of feminism all about?”

The SRC will meet today at 8pm, about the same time as many St Andrews students will be getting ready for ‘Blackout’.