Rockin’ the Rift Valley

On 20th September, two University of St Andrews students, Freddie Fforde and Ollie Carr, climbed Mount Kenya in aid of the charity Trekstock. Carr and Fforde joined a team aiming to […]

On 20th September, two University of St Andrews students, Freddie Fforde and Ollie Carr, climbed Mount Kenya in aid of the charity Trekstock. Carr and Fforde joined a team aiming to reach the summit of Lenana Point, which soars at 4,985m (16,355ft). Climbing ice and rock at temperatures between -15°C and -20°C, with 1:30am starts, life is even more enjoyable. They reached the summit in five days and descended in three.

Trekstock is a charity that raises money for young people with cancer, and has strong connections with St Andrews.  In the past it has been supported by FS and was a Union nominated charity last year, and is currently affiliated with Cancer Research UK, a nominated charity for 2011/12. Carr and Fforde raised £5,700 between them, contributing to a total donation that is yet to be confirmed but estimated to be approximately £20,000 (including £5,000 donated by Coldplay).

This, the first trek directly organised by Trekstock, had the additional twist of including ‘The Great Gig in the Sky’.  The trekking team included an assortment of comedians and musicians, which included Radio One1 Xtra’s Gemma Cairney and comedian Josie Long, who is expected to visit St Andrews in February.  The gig was performed in a natural amphitheatre on the mountain, with the African scenery providing a backdrop to acts such as the singer Rox, comedian Eric Lampaert and singer Brigitte Aphrodite.  Fforde told the stand that “although the term ‘challenge’ is used too lightly, the value of the challenge really became obvious as we climbed.  I didn’t realise how much I would get out of it, but it really was one of the highlights of my life.”