Here’s everything still going ahead in Soton despite coronavirus

Coronavirus won’t be stopping Soton students from getting lit

Coronavirus may mean that uni is cancelled and graduation postponed, but the question on every Soton student’s lips is: What about my nights out? Yes, the extra week of Easter might mean more time to work on your dissertation, but we all know that is absolutely never going to happen.

Naturally, people have been asking a lot of questions about whether clubs will still be open and events running – and, luckily for you, we’ve spoken to all your fave Southampton clubs, so you don’t have to. Here’s what they had to say about clubbing in the midst of coronavirus:

Switch

Switch is remaining open, and their events are still happening too. They have put in extra soap and hand sanitiser dispensers throughout the venue. In a post on their Facebook this morning, Switch said: “The party must go on! We are open and all events are going ahead unless stated.

“Our absolute number one priority is the safety of customers and staff, no matter what happens. Current NHS and Public Health England advice is that individuals are at no greater risk of contracting Coronavirus at large gatherings than they would be in their day-to-day life. Individuals only need to avoid public places if they have been advised to do so by a medical professional.

“There is currently no clear rationale for events not to proceed and all performances at our venue will therefore be going ahead as planned.

“We have added additional soap and sanitiser to accommodate this and our venue’s facilities are regularly and thoroughly cleaned by industry professionals.”

Sobar

Sobar is staying open. Precautions include being deep-cleaned, having antibacterial soap and hand sanitiser, and binning drinking cups after each use. Sobar told The Soton Tab: “We will continue to be open. Especially for our St. Patrick’s Day party”

A Facebook post from Sobar today said: “Here are at Sobar we committed to keep you as safe as possible. In light of recent events: We have had a deep clean today by our cleaning company.

“Our drink cups are single use plastic. Although not environmentally friendly we feel it is necessary at this time.

“We have antibacterial soap in the bathrooms and all staff have access to hand sanitisers. And for as long as we can still source it we will have hand sanitiser on the front door for all customers to use.

“We also ask you follow recent guidelines and if you have a high temperature or new continuous cough that you self isolate for seven days and please do not frequent the venue.”

Jesters

Jesters is staying open. They told The Soton Tab: “We’ve topped up on soap across all our facilities, are undergoing deeper cleaning procedures after each evening and are closely following government guidelines and latest advice.

“We remain open at this stage but realise this is a fluid situation and will post latest updates to our various social media pages.”

The Edge

The Edge is staying open too, and they also have hand sanitiser points. In a post on their Facebook last night, they said: “With COVID-19 looming over us, we’re keen to help you have a worry free night out.

“With this in mind, we’ve installed hand sanitiser points throughout the building. These can be found at all entrances and exits, as well as at the bars and toilets. We’re also thoroughly deep cleaning every day and disinfecting serving areas throughout the night to help prevent the spread of the virus.”

Cafe Parfait

Cafe Parfait are also staying open, calling it: “Business as usual but with a twist”. They also have more soap in the venue.

In a Facebook post today they said: “Following the Governments ‘response’ to the COVID 19 situation, The Palace will be operating as normal but with some strict Health & Hygiene priorities.

“We will take all steps necessary to safeguard our staff & customers. Current NHS and Public Health England advice is that individuals are at no greater risk of contracting Coronavirus at large gatherings than they would be in their day-to-day life. Individuals only need to avoid public places if they have been advised to do so by a medical professional.

“We have increased the amount of hand soap in the venue and we are always cleaned after each event by professional cleaners.

“We urge people to make their own, sensible judgment as to their health and if you and/or have been in contact with, show any of the symptoms listed in the below image, please make the decision to self isolate and follow the guidelines set out by the NHS.”

The Soton Tab also contacted Oceana. We are waiting for a response.