Image may contain: Footwear, Shoe, Apparel, Clothing, Football, Team, Team Sport, Sports, Sport, People, Person, Human

Highfield FC’s annual charity football tournament is back, and here’s how you can get involved

Show the world your ‘tekkers’

For the second year running, Highfield FC are hosting a six-a-side charity football tournament in aid of Cancer Research and Cardiac Risk in the Young. The event, held at Wide Lane and open to all abilities and genders, is sure to be a laugh and raise money for some worthwhile causes.

The tournament was set up last year by Highfield Halls Football Club to raise money for a teammate who was diagnosed with testicular cancer. It was a huge success, and raised around £4,000! The Highfield boys are aiming for an even bigger event this year, according to their Facebook page, where they will be "doubling the matches, doubling the charities and doubling the fun."

Anybody is welcome to join in, so whether you fancy yourself as a bit of a Leo Messi or just want a fun run-out with your mates, you're sure to have a ball. If playing isn't your thing, don't worry as you can always go and watch, or donate to their Just Giving page. The money raised will go to some great causes, helping those with cancer or cardiac problems all over the world.

Image may contain: Soccer, Field, Sport, Football, Team Sport, Team, Sports, People, Human, Person

The first charity, Cancer Research UK, is close to the club members' hearts. One of it's key research centres is actually located at the Uni of Southampton, where important research is being conducted to help learn more about the causes, prevention, and treatment of cancer. The charity's goal is to cure all cancers – no matter how prevalent they may be.

Although less well known, the other charity supported by the event, Cardiac Risk in the Young, is also bound to have a great impact. It raises money to help support families affected by a sudden cardiac death, as well as conducts research to better understand the risks of the disease, and develop screening techniques to identify those most vulnerable.

The tournament is taking place on the 3G pitch at Wide Lane on Sunday 24th February with matches kicking off in the morning. The event will finish with the match everyone's been talking about, where the current Highfield FC 1st XI play against the Highfield Old Boys.

So go on then, grab some mates, enter yourselves, then get down to Wide Lane to raise some money and be part of a great event for a fantastic cause. Or, if you'd rather, donate to their efforts, do so here.

Image may contain: People, Crowd, Clothing, Apparel, Balloon, Ball, Human, Person