Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

VP Welfare Candidate Interviews: Olivia Reed

Here’s what she had to say

What made you want to run for a Sabb position?

This year I’ve been involved in several areas of Welfare around the union. Working with Sabbs this year, I’ve seen the how they can shape the union for the better and that’s something I’d love to do. I’m really passionate about student wellbeing, and I have the ability to do a strong job representing students.

What’s your favourite point in your manifesto?

One of the main focus’ of my manifesto is student support. This comes in many different forms but one of the key points I’d like to push for is increased access and availability to counselling and wellbeing appointments. Mental health issues affect so many young people and is something which should absolutely be prioritised.

Why are you the best person for this role?

Having had experience in several areas of the Union – from being on music, political and sport society committees – I think I have a unique insight and range of experience of student welfare. I’d also be the best person for the job as campaigning for equality, equal opportunities and improved quality of life is something I proactively peruse in my free time.

What do you think is currently the weakest area of SUSU?

In terms of Welfare I think that the Union could be improved several areas. My manifesto focuses on housing support, increased mental health support, expansion on sustainability, and exam support. These are all areas I think that I could build on and improve as VP Welfare.

What are you least looking forward to during your election campaign?

I’m not particularly dreading anything. I’ve got some amazing friends who have offered their support so working with them I’m sure it will be nothing but a good experience. As with most things in life I think you have to go in looking for the positives so I’m excited for a fun few weeks.

Snog, marry and avoid: Theresa May, Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn?

Ohh hard question! Particularly potent to me to me as a politics student, the politics geek in me would be keen to meet all of them but definitely wouldn’t want to go any further. I think I’m going to have to give a cop-out answer and avoid all of them.

What is your favourite Soton night out?

An unexpected one.

Who is your dream dinner date?

I’ve always answered the top celeb crush question the same way since I was 10 years old. So I’ll loyally stick with David Tennant. However if we are talking reality a dinner with my best mates eating pizza in front of the TV is living the dream for me.