How Brexit could affect Southampton staff and students

A few questions answered. We have entered into a period of uncertainty as we wait for the UK government to clarify what the significant changes will be and how they […]

A few questions answered.

We have entered into a period of uncertainty as we wait for the UK government to clarify what the significant changes will be and how they affect student and staff across both England and Europe. For now, it is unlikely there will be immediate change and the transition period to leave will take several years. But what happens then and whilst we are in the transition phase ?

Whilst we wait to receive further clarity on key specific issues, the University have published a few general points for the audiences who may have concerns.

Southampton University are working closely with Universities UK which has made the following statement, “Barring unilateral action from the UK Government, we are advised that the vote to leave the European Union does not mean there will be any immediate material change to the UK university sector’s participation in EU programmes such as Horizon 2020 and Erasmus+, nor to the immigration status of current and prospective EU students and staff.”

For EU staff, their immigration status will not be changed as a result of the vote. This remains the case, until the government decide otherwise.

For current EU students, your immigration status and associated fee status, as well as your access to the student loan book, have not changed as a result of the vote. Again, this remains the case until the Government decides otherwise.

For EU students with a place to start in academic year 2016/17 and 2017/18, there is no reason to assume any change to your immigration status or access to student loan book, at this stage.

The University of Southampton have stated that: “Universities UK is liaising with the Home Office and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and institutions are advised to check both websites regularly for updates from the UK Government. Given the differing arrangements in the devolved nations, Universities Scotland and Universities Wales will seek clarification in terms of tuition fee grant and/or access to loans from the Scottish and Welsh Governments.”

Those of you who are EU students studying in the UK under the Erasmus programme, your immigration status has not changed, and you continue to be eligible for your Erasmus grant until at least as long as we remain a member of the EU and could well be extended beyond this.

Regarding UK students studying in the EU, and elsewhere under the Erasmus programme, your immigration status has not changed, and you continue to be eligible for your Erasmus grant until at least as long as we remain a member of the EU and could well be extended beyond this.

Southampton University have published that: “Universities UK is liaising with the British Council as National Agency for Erasmus+ and institutions are advised to check the Erasmus+ websites regularly for updates including student-focused communications.”

And for all staff currently undertaking EU funded projects, the UK’s status as a full participating member of the Horizon 2020 programme has not changed as a result of the referendum vote and existing project grants and contracts will be honoured unless or until advised otherwise.

The University have also stated that: “Universities UK is liaising with the UK Research Office and the European Commission and institutions are advised that detailed advice on prospective and currently negotiated projects will be circulated as soon as is possible.” 

You can view the University’s statement for further information at southampton.ac.uk