REVIEW: The Stable

Southampton’s newest restaurant is one of its best

They’re also doing FREE Pizza tonight.

Located opposite Turtle Bay, The Stable is slightly outside the centre of town, but definitely worth the extra walk for the unique feel. The interior has a rustic atmosphere, with wooden benches spread across two floors and lots of candles.

The extensive range of ciders include 15 chilled on tap plus up to 77 boxed, and The Stable also offers a wide selection of other drinks including 12 wines.

The Stable’s menu specialises in homemade pizzas and pies but also includes salads, ploughmans and sides. They offer lunchtime and weekday deals including Tuck in Tuesday – a pizza, side salad and drink for just £10 after 5pm.

We opted for The Blazing Saddle pizza, steak pie and and side of garlic bread with cheese.

The pizza was the most expensive at £13, so not exactly within a student budget, but was fresh, perfectly cooked and didn’t scrimp on toppings (which included pulled beef, smoked bacon, caramelised onions, jalapenos and sour cream).

The Stable’s pies were also around £13 each but we definitely got our moneys worth. Served with chunky spiced potato wedges, side salad and chutney, the pies themselves are shortcrust pastry with a puff pastry top and full of filling.

There are a number of desserts on offer (including a nutella pizza) but we were much too full from our mains to want any more food.

Cider is £2 for any half-pint at The Stable (regardless of strength or brand), and they also offer a tasting board for £7.50 of five third-pints which was a great way to sample a range of ciders, from dry to sweet.

Overall, The Stable was a really good dining experience. The staff, many of whom are students from both of Southampton’s unis, were friendly, accommodating and very helpful. The atmosphere was nice and the food was top quality. The only downside if that they don’t offer student discount – but some of their deals are a good enough price to treat yourself. Alternatively, it’s a great place to take your parents when they come down and are paying!

The Stable is hosting a Free Pizza Night TONIGHT from 6pm, so grab some friends and head down for a free whole pizza and to sample some quality cider! Join the Facebook event here.