SUSU announce intramural Football to be replaced with Futsal

Team Southampton’s Intramural Facebook page has today confirmed 5-a-side intramural football will no longer run during the 2015-16 academic year, and has been replaced by futsal. The release states “We […]

Team Southampton’s Intramural Facebook page has today confirmed 5-a-side intramural football will no longer run during the 2015-16 academic year, and has been replaced by futsal.

The release states “We are excited to announce that this year there is a new addition to the Intramural programme – Futsal!”

They claim that futsal will take the place of 5-a-side football “as it is similar in many ways.”

“Futsal is an exciting, fast-paced small sided football game that is widely played across the world and is officially recognised by both UEFA and FIFA.

“The surface, ball and rules create an emphasis on improvisation, quick thinking, creativity and technique, as well as ball control and passing in small spaces and under pressure.”

James, third year English, said of the change “I think it’s a cool idea to introduce futsal but I don’t think they should replace the 5 a side with it,”

“Why can’t they have both?”

Harry, a second year Law student, said “This sounds absolutely perfect for my total lack of technical ability and lacklustre decision making.”

“Is there another new version of 5 a side where it’s just me heading down long balls?”

What do you think of the change? Let us know in the comments below!