Stag's increase price of beer, wine and cider

The Stag’s Head, Highfield Campus’ most popular venue, has announced a “price of living” cost increase on all drinks and food. A member of staff at Stag’s confirmed draught beers […]

The Stag’s Head, Highfield Campus’ most popular venue, has announced a “price of living” cost increase on all drinks and food.

A member of staff at Stag’s confirmed draught beers have gone up by 10p, while all other drinks have increased by 20p, apparently in line with inflation but a far more significant increase than has been seen in the last few years.

The price hike, which came into effect last week, has also boosted the cost of the famous Stag’s pizza from £4.95 to £5.50.

Some good news for those of us who hate loose change- you can still split two Stellas across a fiver, with the popular pint increasing from £2.40 to £2.50, avoiding further awkward note-breaking situation.

Less happily, the price of San Miguel has increased to a £2.90, while Noble has gone up to £3.10. Becks and all ciders have been hiked up to £2.90.

The change comes just a year after SUSU switched suppliers to Greene King, selected as they were the “cheapest option”, with former Union President David Mensoza-Wolfson suggesting the change would likely not see a price increase, despite the significant savings over previous supplier Heineken.

Incumbent Union President Ben Franklin told the Wessex Scene the move was not made “to try to fleece students”, and that the Union were forced to “put our costs up to create a sustainable service” as they had been “absorb[ing] the increasing costs of production” for years.

However, in the year preceding the switch to the cheaper supplier, SUSU’s student operations actually broke even, though the Union as a whole took a rare deficit.

As of July 31st 2014, the Union had £1,029,957 in reserve as “unrestricted funds”,  over 5000% larger than the small loss they took in 2013-14.

What do you think of the price increase? Let us know in the comments!