Aging stars bring the "Hollywood Treatment" to campus

In the same month that Southampton’s nightclubs attracted the likes of Snoop Dogg, Tinie Tempah and the Chuckle Brothers, the University hosted a red carpet event at Highfield Campus promising […]

In the same month that Southampton’s nightclubs attracted the likes of Snoop Dogg, Tinie Tempah and the Chuckle Brothers, the University hosted a red carpet event at Highfield Campus promising to go one better.

More like Highfield Glam-pus

With SUSU promising “the Hollywood treatment”, and organisers promising a host of “local and national celebrities”, all eyes were on Highfield’s Redbrick concourse to see which showbiz luminaries the University could bring in: and did they deliver?

Just ask youth icon Esther Rantzen and 2004 Olympic Silver Medallist Peter Waterfield.

The event was a screening of ‘Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’, the sequel to the 2012 film about elderly people on a nice holiday. It was organised by Damaris, to launch their new ‘Silver Screen intiative’, which aims to help the elderly go to the cinema as a social activity.

All the proceeds from the event will go towards taking lonely older people to the cinema.

VP DCI Megan Downing said of the event:

I sincerely hope that as a result of our event we get to see lots of isolated elderly people going out to see the movie and the use cinema as a way of re-engaging with society and to make friends.

Which celebs would you most like to see at Southampton? Let us know in the comments below!