WHATSOC? The Melodics!

Want to showcase your talent for singing somewhere other than the shower? The Melodics could be just the society for you! We caught up with the social sec, Anamika Talwaria, […]

Want to showcase your talent for singing somewhere other than the shower? The Melodics could be just the society for you! We caught up with the social sec, Anamika Talwaria, to find out what this relatively new club has to offer.

First of all, what’s the name of your society and what do you do? 

We are The Melodics; the only a cappella choir at Southampton University, which basically means that we sing without any instruments. We play around with different arrangements of a variety of songs – at the moment we’re working on things like Hey Soul Sister and a little mash-up of Mika and Maroon Five, but we’re open to suggestions from our members, so it’s really a group effort.

When was your society created?

We started last year, but after this year’s bunfight, we’ve really taken off.

The Melodics causing a stir at this year’s bunfight

Is it crucial to have a great singing voice?

Absolutely not! All you need is enthusiasm! We don’t audition and all we need is for you to be able to hold your own. We’re a team, first and foremost, and every member is crucial, so it helps if you have a love of music, even if singing isn’t your strong point. We’re always in need of beatboxers, too!

How many members do you have? 

Around 20, it’s difficult to keep count because we’re quite casual and don’t really take attendance, but we notice you when you come, and we like to try and get to know everyone in the group so we do tend to notice people who we don’t recognise.

Do you have any performances planned in the near future?

We do! We’ve been invited to perform in a concert in the first couple of weeks of December, though we don’t have exact dates yet.

How can people get involved?

Find us on Facebook- it’s the easiest way to keep up-to-date! We meet every Wednesday, 6-8pm and we’re usually in building 02/1085, but our room can vary sometimes.

Pitch Perfect or Glee?

Oooh, that’s tough because we like to think of ourselves as a low-budget Pitch Perfect, but we did a couple of Glee covers last year so… No comment!

Jesters or Sobar?

Jesters all the way.

If you’d like to keep up to date with The Melodics, join their Facebook page here.