MAGGOT on the MANGE TOUT served at Connaught Halls

Freshers at Connaught may have found some unwanted protein wriggling around in their food yesterday, as MAGGOTY meals were served up to a resident. Nobody expects much from the halls catering […]

Freshers at Connaught may have found some unwanted protein wriggling around in their food yesterday, as MAGGOTY meals were served up to a resident.

Look at it, sitting there acting like it pays rent

Nobody expects much from the halls catering service, but unlucky fresher Robert Collins had his low expectations shattered when he found a maggot worming its way in and around his sausage, having infiltrated his dinner from the mange tout (Above).

We caught up with Rob to speak about what happened. He said:

I went in expecting the usual of bangers and mash but was unexpectedly met by the culinary talents of the superb Connaught catering staff.

The food is usually bland, boring and tasteless so for a short period of time last night the meal was actually a bit exciting.

Robert Collins – A broken man?

The traumatic episode did have an emotional impact on our hero:

I was fuming, imagine heading to dinner after a long day of geography fieldwork only to find the delicious treats that the Connaught catering staff had in store for you would include a maggot.

Finding the maggot was both a shocking and horrendous experience, although it did give me the perfect excuse to cause a fuss and complain earning me a free dessert.

In the light of these shocking events, we asked some other Connaught Rangers what they thought of the Galley Grub. One chipper fresher, Lara Wills, who had a bit of blitz spirit about her said:

I’ve found what looked like pubic looking hairs in the coleslaw on two separate occasions and have seen other people remove other mysterious items from their food. But it’s become a familiar process of cast aside and carry on or don’t eat. 
a
Meanwhile, others were more measured in their comments. Steph Wood said:
.

Generally it’s okay. Some days are better than others, but I don’t really expect Michelin standard cooking. The sausages weren’t actually that bad.

In response to these incidents, James Leeming, University of Southampton’s Retail Catering Manager, said:

We apologised immediately, replaced the meal and removed all the mange tout from the menu for the evening. Wherever possible we use fresh food for student meals.

Connaught has a five-star food rating with the Environmental Health Officer as do all the University of Southampton Catering food outlets, of which we are very proud.

Indeed, the general consensus among residents is that this was an anomalous event, the likes of which nobody had seen before, and that on the whole the food was bland, but alright.

Would you trust catered halls food? Let us know in the poll below.