UoS Climbs 4 Places in Uni League Tables – Should Anyone Care?

The University of Southampton has been promoted to 16th place for the academic year 2014/15 in a leading league table, but other leagues show a fall in rank for the University. […]

Masturbatory aid Ranking Southampton UoS

The University of Southampton has been promoted to 16th place for the academic year 2014/15 in a leading league table, but other leagues show a fall in rank for the University. Should anyone care?

The Complete University Guide has promoted Southampton from 20th best university in the UK to 16th, though it remains outside the top ten, among which the UoS website maintains it “consistently” ranks.

The QS World University Rankings league table has shown a fall for Southampton from 86th in the world, to 94th. This puts Southampton’s coveted place as a “Top 100” university in jeopardy, which the official ‘why study at Southampton university page boasts is a title only 19 UK universities can claim.

Criticism has been previously been leveled at the veracity of the QS league tables, which place Durham University (joint 92nd) only one place ahead of Southampton, and University of Edinburgh (who?) at 17th in the world.

But do the league tables mean anything; or are they just a masturbatory aid for the posh kids who didn’t get into Oxbridge? Public opinion remains that university league tables are largely bullshit, and that we don’t even care where they put us, because we are a proud independent university who don’t need no league table.

In any case, the Times Higher Education league table comes out on the 1st of October, and we usually do a bit better in that one.

What do you think about university league tables? Has UoS got better or worse since you’ve been here? Let us know in the comments below!