Preview: 2014 Varsity Cup

Sunday 9th March 2014 is the date. Our humble university is the venue. Can Southampton regain their crown and once again obliterate that lot from down the M27?   Sunday 9th of March will […]

Varsity 2014

Sunday 9th March 2014 is the date. Our humble university is the venue. Can Southampton regain their crown and once again obliterate that lot from down the M27?

Sunday 9th of March will see the return of the Varsity Cup, an annual competition between the Universities of Southampton and Portsmouth, a titanic clash between the great and the distinctly average.  Therefore, here at the Soton Tab, we thought we’d give you a little preview of what to expect from this year’s tournament.

Portsmouth have a track record of having their arses handed to them on a plate, with our two previous victories being with margins of 39 points (105-66, 2012) and 37 points (91-54, 2011). Last year however, saw Southampton lose the competition for the first time in their history, controversially surrendering the trophy by a mere four points. A ruthless backlash therefore is not merely expected, but promised. As it stands, Team Southampton has already taken a 20-4 lead.

The whole club are buzzing for Varsity, it’s a date which always stands out in the calendar. All three teams will be looking to put on a show and are confident of doing just that.

Chris Hanson, Southampton University Rugby Football Club

So that you can witness this, we will be liveblogging the whole event with our classic brand of cynicism, witticisms and, of course, the most up to date results around. Apart from the Soton Tab and SUSU media, you can join in with the action on Twitter with the original hashtags #varsity2014, #playtowin#teamsoton and #teamsouthampton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy8BwoHON_Y

If you’re a relative newcomer to the AU and want to find out more, the following details should help…

Where will it be held?

Most fixtures will be played at the Wide Lane sports ground, however, some events, such as basketball and swimming, will be held at the Jubilee Sports Centre.

What kind of sports will be played?

Loads. Badminton, Football, Basketball, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Dodgeball, Hockey, Lacrosse, Netball, Rugby, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Pole-Dancing and Tennis will all be there, plus many more.

How will I know what’s going on?

The Soton Tab will be assembling their best team of writers to live blog from 9:30am all the way through till the end. SUSU media outlets will also be giving some coverage, apparently.

What will the weather be like?

Sun sun sun! With temperatures set to hit 14 degrees, the weather’s on our side (unlike previous years).

Who’s going to win?

Need you ask?

Check out the times and locations of all of Sunday’s fixtures.