WHATSOC? S.U.I.T.S!

Getting tired of always going out in your Jesters shoes? Then the Southampton University’s Impeccably Tailored Society (aptly named SUITS) is perfect for you. The Soton Tab caught up with […]

Getting tired of always going out in your Jesters shoes? Then the Southampton University’s Impeccably Tailored Society (aptly named SUITS) is perfect for you. The Soton Tab caught up with the President, Tudor Price, to find out more. 

Firstly can you just tell us a bit about your society?

We’re Southampton University’s Impeccably Tailored Society (SUITS). We get together a couple of times a term to do random socials all dressed up smart. We also get involved in the international Suit up day on October 13th.

When and why did you decide to set up the society?

We set up the society around May this year. We basically thought it would be hilarious to do all sorts of stuff dressed up smart, particularly Laser Quest.

What’s your ideal social and when is your next one?

I’m looking forward to a couple of events that we’re looking in to. We’re trying to set up a James Bond film marathon, and were recently given the suggestion of going to the beach dressed up (I think they may have gotten their inspiration from here). However, smart Laser Quest has to be the highlight of the year. I’ve been looking forward to it since May. As it happens, our next social is Laser Quest at some point at the end of November. I’m already getting my suit ready!

What’s the boy/girl ratio like? Are girls just as much involved as the boys and what do they wear?

You won’t be surprised to hear that there are more boys, although quite a few girls are involved. If you’re looking for stats then from our 40 members we have about 30 boys and 10 girls. Most girls who come to our events wear dresses. We do have the initials S.U.I.T.S but to be honest that’s just because it was too good an opportunity to miss out on.

Does your society have any weird traditions/funny stories to tell us?

Just to take the mick out of some of the other committee members, our first meeting consisted of two of them worrying about how we could get girls involved (which is a valid question). However, their conversation ended up sounding like teenage boys who had never talked to a girl in their life. It made for a rather funny meeting for the rest of us.

When I hear “Suit Up” I think of Barney from ‘How I Met Your Mother’, do you have any inspirations?

I’m asked about Barney quite a lot. For me it has to be James Bond, particularly Sean Connery.

Looking suave as ever

Jesters or Sobar? (or are they not smart enough for you guys?)

A couple of the guys have been looking beyond Jesters shoes to Jesters suits. Personally I think that we’re more suited (apologies for the pun) to a pub with some armchairs and a fire enjoying a scotch/port, whatever interests you most.

Soton Tab or Wessex Scene?    

Soton Tab!

To find out more about S.U.I.T.S, join their Facebook group