Southampton is the FOURTH crappest town in the UK

It’s official: Southampton is the fourth worst town in the UK with only London, Bradford and Chipping Norton being voted crappier in a recent Telegraph feature. The coveted ‘Crap Town’ […]

It’s official: Southampton is the fourth worst town in the UK with only London, Bradford and Chipping Norton being voted crappier in a recent Telegraph feature.

The coveted ‘Crap Town’ title was given to London, in the new book “Crap Towns Returns – Back by Unpopular Demand”, and was voted on by members of the public. Gripes given about London included high living costs, packed tubes and tourist steak houses.

Southampton gained its position due to the “grotty modern developments” that characterise it, with the biggest tourist attraction being the West Quay shopping centre (which upon reflection, is very true). It is a well known fact that on weekends, Southampton is a bore with the only options to travel to the nearby New Forest or Bournemouth to ‘see the sights’. It was also described as an embarrassment as Britain’s major cruise port: a sure sign of neglect?

There were also surprise entries in the top ten for High Wycombe and Chipping Norton at positions 9 and 3 respectively. High Wycombe paid the price for having too many chain stores, while Chipping Norton’s association with the UK’s political and media elite caused it to plummet in to the top ten.

Crime rates in Southampton surprisingly fell from 2012-2013, therefore it’s open to interpretation as to why the city is deemed so ‘crappy’ in addition to the reasons given. Here at Soton Tab we think it might be the grey, dull, left-behind outlook that Southampton possesses, combined with the ‘local talent’ that truly makes Southampton… well, shit. Areas such as Millbrook, Eastleigh and Shirley are some of the scariest places to venture to, with the Common, (during the day) and Hamble being amongst the most pleasant.

Fortunately, the University is in no way affected by this and is still going from strength to strength.

How do you feel about Southampton’s 4th place ranking? Let us know in the comments.