Success for Tae-Kwon-Do and Tchoukball

Southampton University can celebrate 2 major successes this weekend after Southampton University Tae Kwon Do club (SUTKD) once again claimed victory at the annual Student Nationals, whilst the up-and-coming Southampton […]

Southampton University can celebrate 2 major successes this weekend after Southampton University Tae Kwon Do club (SUTKD) once again claimed victory at the annual Student Nationals, whilst the up-and-coming Southampton Stags Tchoukball Club finished with an immaculate top spot in the South East Regional League.

Southampton Tae Kwon Do Club

It is now a record breaking 6 times that SUTKD have won the Student Nationals, with currently 4 consecutive victories in a row after Sunday. This makes us the most successful student Tae Kwon Do club in the UK, EVER (and by quite a margin too) since it began in 1987. The nearest challengers for these records are Bristol University TKD club who have previously consecutively won a total of 4 nationals. This sets the stage for SUTKD to challenge next year for a record breaking 5 successive victories. Can we do it? Well with a team that has huge heart, team morale, indomitable spirit, and training 5 times a week, there is nothing that can’t be achieved.

[spoiler effect=”blind” show=”Show full list of competitors and medallists” hide=”Hide full list of competitors and medallists”]

Jesse NG – Gold, Bronze
Selvan Irai
Luke Botham – Silver
Hannah Hussain – Silver, 2x Bronze
Sophie Carr – 2x Gold
Kike Cuan – 2x Gold
David James Honey – Silver
Chris Risely – Bronze
Jay Patel
Hussain Qazaz – Bronze
Omar Ativeh – Gold
Tom Lydford – Bronze
Mishal Ahmed – Bronze
Sheena Au Yeung – Gold, Silver
Natalie Mestry
Declan Kiernan – Gold
Matt Maslin
Vergil Gunir – Gold, Bronze
Dan O’Reilly
Phuc Le Dinh – Silver
Vincent Tan – Gold, Bronze
Jelson Song – Silver
Kane Morgan
Nicholas Wong
Andrew Poon – Silver
Steven Linfield – Bronze
Matt Smith – Bronze
Stacy Winter – Gold

[/spoiler]

Moving on to one of the AU’s lesser known sports, Southampton Stags Tchoukball Club have always been a major player in the fastest handball sport in the world that is Tchoukball. Last Sunday the final round of Regional League matches were played to complete the league, having won all 7 games of the season. This is the first time we have won the Regionals, let alone dominate it. Development of the team has rocketed this year, making us a strong contender to even take the ultimate prize as national champions. In the National Premier League we are currently neck and neck against the oldest and most successful club in the UK, Bury St Edmunds.

Both SUTKD and STAGS TC are blessed with many individuals pushing the teams to ever higher heights; take for example Bursary Athletes Sheena Au Yeung (SUTKD female team captain) and Stuart James Blakemore (STAGS Coach).

If you are interested in finding out more about these clubs, the Facebook pages are here for Tae Kwon Do and Stags Tchoukball.

Links

TKD Student National winners 

STAGS TC Regional standings

STAGS TC National standings