WHATSOC? Fish on Toast!

Sammy Foskett dishes the dirt on Fish on Toast, Southampton’s entrepreneurial society

A fan of Sugar’s ‘Apprentice’? Want to rub shoulders with some of the business-world’s best? In this instalment of WHATSOC, we spoke to Peter Street, Vice President of Fish On Toast, to find out how his society can have you walking and talking money, socializing like a networking-pro and even get you hired!

1) Fish on Toast! Tell us a bit about what your society does?

Our mission statement is ‘Inspiring the next generation of Entrepreneurs’, which means we try to give students the inspiration and know-how that they need to start-up a successful business. We host guest speaker events with serial entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and student entrepreneurs, and we run workshops where we train our members in business, marketing and entrepreneurial skills. We are also famous for our competitions, such as our ‘Southampton Apprentice’ competition.

2) Why was your quirky society name chosen?

To this day I’m still unsure about where the name came from. The most common story I have heard from Alumni is that the original logo from 2002 looked like a fish on a bit of toast and so the pensive, laughable and unforgettable name has stuck ever since. I think the society’s strange and peculiar name gives people that initial interest, so we don’t plan on changing it.

3) What makes the society exciting?

I think the free Pizza at our events and the fact that members can engage with big names from the world of entrepreneurship. The fact that after each event you feel you can go out and achieve greatness! And that after speaking to an entrepreneur you may be presented with an internship or maybe even a job opportunity! And not forgetting, you have the opportunity to make some money!

4) Any ‘star stories’?

Huddle software founded by Alastair Mitchell, an ex-Southampton and FOT Alumni, has just raised $40 million for his growing business that provides software for the British Government and Kia. And in the New Year we have one of BBC’s online dragons, Julie Meyer, coming to speak about being a venture capitalist and entrepreneur!

5) University societies are known to have weird traditions, slogans and chants, does yours have any?

We are called Fish on Toast and we have a Mexican who can beatbox rather well. I think that’s weird enough. And the society is never short of very big and elaborate ideas.

6) Have there been any memorable socials or fancy dress costumes during your time as a member?

We think alcohol makes it easier to talk to people and encourages conversation so we often hold weekly Stag visits which turn into unexpected ‘networking events’, that often get messy and are held at different locations throughout the night. We have close links with Orange rooms and Oceana after our Apprentice competition and are often awarded alcohol and VIP benefits as a result of the publicity we give our associates. Those nights often turn memorable.

7) Clubs and pubs – any preferences as a society?

Actually, The Stile has been the venue of choice after most big occasions. It’s a good place to de-brief and it has a pool table on which to unwind and discuss strategy!

If you’re interested and would like to get involved in Fis on Toast, visit www.facebook.com/fishontoast

Or, if you are on the committee of a snazzy Soton society, we’d love to hear from you! Get involved by emailing [email protected]!