Millions WASTED on pointless bus WiFi

Hundreds of Southampton buses, including Uni-Link, have been fitted with WiFi in a £7.4 million project backed by the Department of Transport. The cost of installing WiFi on Southampton buses […]

Checking Blackboard on the bus? Nah.

Hundreds of Southampton buses, including Uni-Link, have been fitted with WiFi in a £7.4 million project backed by the Department of Transport.

The cost of installing WiFi on Southampton buses could instead pay for EVERY student at the University of Southampton to be given a Uni-Link annual pass.

According to the Chairman of Transport for South Hampshire, Councillor Mel Kendal, free Wi-Fi was:

One of a range of initiatives being worked on with bus operators.

However, when Bencraft residents have only 2 buses per hour to University and into the city, could the money be better spent on boosting services? With journeys on Uni-Link services rarely exceeding 30 minutes, is WiFi really necessary? One student commented:

What a complete waste of money! 3G services are prevalent enough among mobile consumers to render WiFi obselete in anywhere but cafes, workspaces and at home. A ten minute bus journey is not a place for WiFi

For bus users who have a longer commute, such as students based at the NOC, WiFi may be a blessing and allow some early morning productivity. For most other students, probably not.

What do you think? Let us know in the comments section!