New Year, New Cube

The Tab got a sneaky peek at The Cube’s new layout and we like what we saw!

A busy night at Kinki from 2009

After a painful term, SUSU’s troubled nightclub, The Cube, has a brand new look for 2012. At a media preview today The Tab was given a sneak peek of what is to come from SUSU nightlife.

The driving force behind the new  look was a nightlife survey conducted to find out why club nights at the union were so unsuccessful. The survey revealed that music, atmosphere and quick service were key to a Southampton student’s night out.

In response to these findings, The Union as a whole has been rejigged to offer a better experience. Whilst queuing up to get in, you can get a drink from the bottle bar which also entitles you to free cloakroom. The bar areas have more seating, with level 3 featuring a cheaper VIP-only bar that is sectioned off by velvet rope and decorations. It is understood the VIP area will be bookable in advance for socials and birthdays.

The biggest changes however are to be found inside The Cube itself. The main dancefloor has often been criticised as far too big, cavernous and lacking any sort of atmosphere. Now however, there is an actual bar serving draught, a shots bar in one corner and raised dancing and seating areas dotted around the dancefloor. From what we at The Tab saw, it looks like a much better use of the space with SUSU telling us:

There are 3 parts to the social experience in a nightclub: drinking, dancing and talking. We can now offer all of those in the Cube in a much less disjointed way

We were shown various demonstrations of new lighting effects which are far too high-tech to explain here. The lighting gantry has been lowered down too so the Cube no longer feels like a cave.

The new Friday Nights at the Cube launch next Friday the 27th of January. Tickets are priced at £4 and will be fixed at this price for the rest of the year regardless of what acts are playing. From what we’ve seen today SUSU have really done their homework with this and it looks to be a much better experience than ever before