Ex-Southampton Uni Pilot Killed in Air Show Disaster

Red Arrows pilot Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging (33) was killed today in a crash following Bournemouth Air Show. Flt Lt Egging studied Environmental Science and was a former member of Southampton University […]

Red Arrows pilot Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging (33) was killed today in a crash following Bournemouth Air Show.

Flt Lt Egging studied Environmental Science and was a former member of Southampton University Air Squadron (SUAS). He graduated in 2000 and went on to fly Harrier GR9s in support of operations in Afghanistan.

It is believed he steered his Hawk T1 aircraft heroically away from populated areas to prevent a greater tragedy.

Flt Lt Egging flew in Red 4, on the right hand side of the famed “Diamond 9” formation. Prior to joining the RAF Aerobatic team , more commonly known as the Red Arrows,  Flt Lt Egging was a Qualified Flying Instructor and trained future Harrier pilots in RAF Wittering, East Midlands.

His wife Dr Emma Egging, described him as “an exemplary pilot” and said watching him during the display was the “proudest” she had ever been.

The cause of the crash remains unknown.