LIE-DEMS: Government INCREASES Fees

The government has voted in favour of increasing tuition fees in 2012. After a day of much protest and anger led by thousands of protestors, the Coalition Government has secured […]

The government has voted in favour of increasing tuition fees in 2012.

After a day of much protest and anger led by thousands of protestors, the Coalition Government has secured enough votes to pass their controversial motion.

It was a narrow win with the government only able to gain a majority of 21 votes on the initial motion. This allows universities, who can prove why they should, to charge an upper limit of £9,000. The second vote for all universities to charge £6,000 also passed with 21 votes.

Within the House of Commons there was heated debates between the two sides of the house. The opposition, led by Labour, has been in favour of a Graduate Tax, which would tax those whom earn most after graduation. Whereas the government has argued that the oppositions plans would have been unworkable and that their proposals are the only way to ensure that Britain can remain a leader of higher education.

Many students are at uproar from the decision, stating that the government is not representing the majority. However, there have been claims that if these motions had not passed, then Universities would have been highly affected.

We will try to keep you updated as to what unfolds after the vote.