Breaking: Uni of Sheffield postpones summer graduation ceremonies

As the UK locks down

All graduation ceremonies for students at the University of Sheffield have been postponed “until later in the year” due to coronavirus, bosses have confirmed.

Thousands were expecting to graduate in the summer sun this July, but following other universities’ moves to cancel or delay ceremonies, these will no longer take place.

The news will come as no shock to students after PM Boris Johnson’s announcement of a complete lockdown of the UK last night.

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, all exams for both the Uni of Sheffield and Hallam have been moved online, the SU has shut its doors, and face-to-face teaching has been cancelled.

The Uni of Sheffield announced on Monday that all invigilated exams this summer will be moved online, with more details set to be released later this week.

The Arts Tower has become a relic of the Varsity that never was

Final years will be prioritised by the university in their battle to change assessments, the uni said. All official university events have also been cancelled or moved online until the start of May, following the earlier axing of Varsity.

The Tab Sheffield has approached the Uni of Sheffield for clarity on what dates summer graduations will now take place.

Sheffield stands second only to Birmingham in the number of Covid-19 cases outside London and the South East, at 106.

Most students have returned home after the Easter holidays were moved forward two weeks for Uni of Sheffield students, as bosses attempt to deal with drastic changes to modules in time for Spring term resuming on April 20.

All exams are moving online, the uni has said

It is unclear whether campus will reopen after Easter, with most universities across the country not expected to fully get back to normal before September amid warnings from the World Health Organisation that the pandemic is “accelerating”.

Following the shutdown of the Arts Tower after a staff member tested positive, all car parking spaces have been reserved for front-line NHS workers at the nearby Children’s and Hallamshire hospitals in an effort to support the under-pressure health care system.

Britain has entered its first day of nationwide lockdown today, after PM Boris Johnson responded to the thousands flouting social distancing advice by ordering everyone they “must stay at home” for three weeks.

Brits are now only allowed out for health or shopping essentials, and to exercise once a day. Pubs, cafes, restaurants and all non-essential shops have closed.

Anyone who is concerned that they may have the virus should self-isolate for 14 days and visit NHS webpages to check symptoms.

More on coronavirus in Sheffield:

I’m a postgrad who just paid £4,000 for teaching this term. I’m fed up

• Sheffield has more cases than Manc, Leeds and York combined

• 10 things Sheff students can do during self-isolation

•  ‘We feel completely abandoned’: Sheff students stranded in Peru

• Sheffield Uni campus becomes ghost town