Burglars target Sheff Lib Dems HQ and steal election campaign materials

They’re appealing for donations

Burglars have targeted the Sheffield Liberal Democrats HQ, stealing valuable campaign materials.

Phones and laptops are reported missing after the break-in just weeks before the country goes to the polls.

South Yorkshire Police are currently investigating the incident, which happened at the party’s Cybor House headquarters on Tapton House Road, Broomhill, on 31 October.

The Lib Dems in Sheffield are facing a high-stakes battle to reclaim the Sheffield Hallam seat, with their campaign focused on wining over the constituency’s 50,000 student population.

A Lib Dems statement to members in the city, reported by HuffPost UK, said: “Yesterday, I arrived at our HQ to find that someone had broken in.

“They haven’t done any damage, but they have taken the phones and tablets we use for canvassing, data entry and door knocking.”

The Lib Dems are appealing for any unwanted phones, laptops and general donations.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said: “We can confirm that we received reports of a burglary at Cybor House on Tapton House Road in Sheffield on 31 October.

“It is reported that a number of laptops and phones were stolen.”

The Liberals are aiming to retake Sheffield Hallam constituency from the Labour party, with Laura Gordon campaigning for MP.

The seat was formerly held by deputy Prime Minister and former Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg, until a shock defeat in the 2017 election saw it lost to Labour.

It has since been held by Jared O’Mara, who has been Independent MP for Sheffield Hallam since resigning from Labour in 2018, after being suspended over alleged sexist and homophobic comments.

He is now one of 50 MPs not standing for re’-election. Gareth Arnold – O’Mara’s ex-communications chief who resigned with a Twitter tirade on his boss’ own account – will fight for the seat for the Sheffield Democratic Party.

He will battle Tory Ian Walker, Natalie Thomas of the Green Party and Labour’s new candidate Olivia Blake.

Anyone with information about the Cybor House break-in is urged to call 101, quoting incident number 351 of October 31.