Image may contain: Bowl, Cup, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile, Smile, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

‘I think Give It A Go and Social Sport are really important for improving inclusivity’: An interview with Sarah Dewhirst

She’s running to be your next Sports Officer

With voting for your next SU officers open this week, we spoke to Sarah Dewhirst, one of the six candidates running to be your next Sports Officer.

You'll find her out running in her role as cross country captain, holding daily plank challenges in her campaign, or living it up at Roar on a Wednesday – she prefers it to Pop Tarts – and she even wants to introduce loyalty cards.

We chatted to her about her manifesto and why she'd be great in the role.

What are your top manifesto points?

I would like to help Sports Sheffield design and create an app that would ease access to activity room bookings, gym classes and pitch bookings. I'd also like to look into a swim only gym memberships!

I think its really important to encourage a healthy lifestyle, which is why I would like to make access to the Sports Sheffield nutritionist easier, and run mental health sessions designed to 'train the trainer' as well as healthy lifestyle sessions for all students.

Do you think sports could be made more inclusive at Sheffield?

I think GIAGs (Give It A Go) and social sport are really important in improving inclusivity within sport, which is why I would like to continue the promotion and funding of the schemes as well as running advanced planning for event weeks such as the recent Disability in Sport week.

Have you got any specific campaign tactics?

Enjoying myself! I've taken each day as it comes and have no 'tactics' as such! I've found it really interesting meeting as many clubs as possible, as well as joining in with lots of sports sessions – a massive de-stresser too. I've also been holding a daily plank challenge which I've found is a great conversation starter and brings out people's competitive side! Current record stands at 7mins 11secs!

Image may contain: Furniture, Chair, Person, People, Human

In a nutshell, why should people vote for you?

I'm passionate about sport and providing sport for all, at all levels!

What do you have that other candidates don’t?

My unique policy is my Sports Sheffield app, something I have already discussed with the Sports Sheffield managers and is achievable! I will work alongside the creation team to ensure pitch bookings, gym classes and activity room bookings are featured within!

The Big One: Roar or Pop Tarts?

Its got to be Roar!

A true sports gal at heart, even when she's on the sesh.