The pros and cons of inter-city dating

So you’ve had a wonderful summer of frolicking in fields and sharing milkshakes, but now it’s time to go your separate ways and respective universities. Is it worth the effort? Heather McDonald sorts the good from the bad to help you decide.

We all know that the decision to stay with your other half during University is a tough one, as there are so many different problems and awkward situations that can occur, so we’ve put together some pros and cons of taking your relationship to an inter-city level.

Pros

First of all, it’s less likely you’ll get bored of each other! Only seeing them twice a month will boost your excitement to see them and reduce the chances of you spending too much time together and getting tired of hearing how ‘mad’ the other night was for the hundredth time.

You can also use them as a form of motivation; by telling yourself you have to get that essay done before going to see them, as opposed to half-heartedly doing it the Sunday you return, knackered and hung over and with no chance of scraping that 2:1 you were hoping for.

Why didn’t I just do it last week?!

It’s so much more of a ‘treat’ to see them when you haven’t seen them in so long, and you always feel that your time with them is precious, so you’re more likely to use it wisely and appreciate the other person!

This couple may be going a bit far on the appreciation level…

One of the best things about Inter-city relationships is that you don’t share the same friendship group, which means there are less Made In Chelsea style dramas that affect your relationship – you can avoid the meddlers!

Cons

The main problem, of course, is that you don’t get to see them often enough. It’s really difficult to scrape the money together to get to see them – some people only see their other half one weekend in a month, and for many couples it just isn’t worth it. This can make you drift apart from each other and make you realise you’re not as into them as you first thought.

You come across as really needy when you are constantly texting them – they need time to miss you, and if you’re always there then they’re just going to get annoyed with you. Equally, the panic of wondering if you’re contacting them too much, or if you miss them more than they miss you can have an effect on your relationship.

Clearly you’re an emotional wreck.

You have to wait to have serious chats with them in real life – or risk tears without cuddles on Skype – which just makes you miss them more. Maybe they said something that really affected you at the weekend that has only just hit you, or there are some problems at Uni but you don’t want to upset them by making them worrying about you when they can’t be there.
A more obvious point is that University is a place where there are lots of really attractive drunk people wherever you look – you’re constantly wing-manning your mates on nights out and temptation hits you, you could get yourself in a really sticky mess, or you could be left heart-broken when your other half ends up in a drunken state of cheating. You have to trust each other and, more importantly, yourself.

“Why did you get with that girl?! What about your girlfriend?!”