Sports Scholarships for Sheffield’s Stars

Sheffield’s best and brightest athletes have been handed scholarships by the uni

athlete bryony page dan walker scholarship sheffield sport student

Last Thursday evening, the University of Sheffield’s most outstanding athletes were awarded scholarships as part of the Elite Sports Performance Scheme (ESPS).

The awards were presented by Football Focus presenter and former Sheffield student, Dan Walker, who is a patron for the scheme alongside Sheffield’s Olympic hero, Jess Ennis.

“Sheffield has such a rich sporting heritage and current champions in all sorts of disciplines. I’d like to think that this scheme is doing its bit to make sure that continues” urged Walker, who studied Journalism and History.

The dream

28 students received Level One scholarships meaning that they gain access to a vast range of support including free membership to the gym facilities at S10, physiotherapy service and lifestyle mentoring.

A further twelve students were rewarded with Level Two scholarships which means they get all the rewards of Level One, plus a £1,000 scholarship.

These included trampoline World Championship gold medal winner, Bryony Page and Team GB volleyball player, Dami Bakare. 

A new Page for sport in Sheffield

Biology student Bryony told The Tab: “having been part of the scheme since I first started University, I have been able to attend several international training camps that have really boosted my confidence and skill level, improving my performances at competitions and moving up the world rankings”

Dami, who is studying Dentistry, also spoke to The Tab about how he thinks the scheme aids him on his root to success.

Bakare getting the support he kneeds

The scholarship along with its benefits will allow me to continue training with ease of mind knowing I have a team I can fall back on if I get injured for instance or just need a little help.”