What’s your worst landlord story?

‘We were charged £50 for moving a corkboard’

Tegan, Third Year English and Creative Writing (and Tab editor, obv)

My landlord last year was a WANKER. Our house was gross and mouldy – my clothes grew mould on them. When we complained stuff was broken, he used to send the handyman round at 8am on a Saturday, and when we asked him why he came round so early, he said the landlord told him it was the best time which suited us. All a total lie, just to piss us off.

Probably the funniest thing was when we had had enough and my housemate sent him an email explaining all the ways in which he was unprofessional. He simply emailed back the words “get lost”.

Hannah, Third Year Multilingual Studies

We weren’t allowed pets in the house, but one day the landlady came over with her dog. She let the dog loose in the house, and then I was like “what’s that smell?”. Her dog had shat in my house, and she didn’t even clean it up. She left, and left me to clean up her dog’s shit.

Fred, Third Year Biology

We got drunk and buried some traffic cones as relics in the garden. The owner came round and dug them back up. RIP.

Grace, Third Year Drama & Classics

Don’t get me started on our landlord last year. His name is John and he is a dickhead. We got charged for the stupidest things. For example, there was a corkboard on the floor, balanced against the wall. There was also a hook on the wall just above it, so we hung it up. He tried to charge us £50 for “moving the corkboard”.

Amy, Second Year Drama

There wasn’t a hoover in the house and I couldn’t contact the landlady, so I asked the estate agents to give me her number. I called her from the estate agents office and she ranted at me down the phone about the last tenants hoover usage. She kept saying “NO HENRY HOOVER”. She got so rowdy and shouty the estate agent took the phone off me mid-call and put it down.