Thief assaults students after stealing handbag from car on campus

He was caught in the act

A thief was arrested last night after assaulting a group of students and attempting to steal a handbag from a car parked on campus.

The 24-year-old male was caught in the act of breaking into the car by its owner.

Students then attempted to chase and detain the man, with some of them getting hurt in the struggle.

A spokesperson for Surrey Police said: “Police were called to Royal Holloway University in the early hours of this morning following reports a man had stolen a handbag from a vehicle parked on the campus.

“The offender was disturbed by the victims, challenged and then chased by students and security. Some of the students tried to detain the man and were assaulted during the struggle.

“The suspect managed to escape into the gardens of some nearby properties but was later found hiding on a garage roof in Moor Grove Crescent by the crew of the police helicopter and arrested by officers on the ground.

“A 24-year-old man from Shepperton has been arrested on suspicion of theft from a motor vehicle and two counts of assault. He is currently in custody while police inquiries continue.”

Police were examining the car this morning

Philosophy student Paul Geerligs, who lives in Runnymede, said the assault makes him feel unsafe on campus: “It makes me feel unsafe. One reason I prefer to live on campus is that it’s ostensibly safer.

“This isn’t the first time something like has happened. Last year some non-RoHo people went around Founder’s and beat up a first year badly in a totally unprovoked attack.”

If anyone has any information on the incident, they can contact Surrey Police on: 01483 571212