The best things to do in Notts to get you into the festive spirit

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas

It’s the beginning of December and that only means one thing, other than deadlines, it’s officially Christmas season!

Even though most of us won’t be spending actual Christmas Day in Notts, the time of sport and society meals and house Christmas dinners is among us and uni Christmas is in full swing.

There’s defo enough time to cram in as much Christmas festivities before heading home. To help get you into the festive spirit we’ve rounded up the best things happening in Notts this December.

Nottingham Christmas Market

If you haven’t already seen from literally everyone’s Instagram stories, the Christmas Market in Old Market Square is now open. Branded this year as Winter Wonderland, it may not live up to London’s event of the same name but it is a must on the list of Notts Christmas activities, especially as it was shut down last year due to Covid.

You can head down and do some Christmas shopping but we all know the best part is definitely the food and drinks. With several food options, there’s something for everyone, from Yorkshire wraps to crêpes.

There’s also an après ski bar where you can grab yourself a stein of beer whilst listening to some Christmas hits, no brainer right? Old Market Square also hosts its very own big wheel, so you can see some beautiful views of Nottingham from a height. Don’t forget cash for this though!

Opening times and details of how to book tickets can be found here.

Christmas at Wollaton

If you’ve been wondering what those lights are that you can see from campus, they are coming from Wollaton. At Christmas, Wollaton Hall and Park converts itself into a festive light trail full of illuminations. Head down to see an array of lights and walk through the festive fields.

After last year’s debut, the seasonal lights are back and a great way to get into the Christmas spirit.

You can grab your tickets here. Warning though, the ticket prices aren’t the most student friendly so you may want to stick to viewing them from your garden.

Pantomime

If you can’t let go of your Christmas traditions from your childhood, then why not go and see Robin Hood the pantomime this December. The audience may not be full of students but defo grab a ticket if this is your thing and you’re still around. The show opens on December 11th and tickets are available here.

Crisis All Whiter

As much as Christmas is a season of wholesome fun and joy for the whole family, it wouldn’t be student Christmas guide without including the festive nights out that you don’t want to miss this December.

If you were on the nice list this year then you would have been lucky enough for Father Christmas to have gifted you some All Whiter tickets for Wednesday 15th December. If not, Unisalad is going to be your bestie, with people going home for the holidays you may have more chance than ever to grab an all nighter ticket from Buy and Sell.

What better way to celebrate Christmas than with a night of VKs and Jägerbombs that ends in maccies for breakfast.

Shapes. Winter closing party

Whether you’re a Shapes regular or not what better way to end your term at uni then in The Cell for Shapes’ final event of the year. The last Shapes will be on Thursday 16th December and tickets are on sale from Monday 6th so keep an eye out. They will be available here.

• Every disaster you’ll face trying to cook a uni house Christmas dinner

• Notts Christmas Market is now open

• Listen up lads: Here are Notts’ girls biggest icks