Three years sober: You don’t have to drink to be a hoot

Lara hasn’t touched a drop since she started at Northumbria

While you’re out getting rat-arsed this week after dissertation deadlines, Lara Crane is laughing at you while you fall over.

The Media and Journalism third year would rather have a cuppa than a cocktail when she goes out, and says she doesn’t envy anyone spending a night on the hard stuff.

“I’ve done three whole years at uni sober, but I still have the best time without drinking. It’s actually quite funny watching my friends get drunk, because I can tell them all about their antics the day after next.”

The drinks of choice

“They call me the cherryade sessioner”

A medical reason is one of the reasons stopping Lara from drinking, but the 21-year-old says even without this, she’s still not tempted by the stuff.

“I still dance the night away and I nobody really criticizes me for not drinking. Everyone was shocked when they found out I don’t drink, but nobody really cares about it now.”

Friends with benefits

Instead, thrifty Lara spends her nights high on sugar and manages to outlast nearly all of her crew.

“Ever since school, my friends would bring a big bottle of cherryade for me to parties, and they used to call me the ‘cherryade sessioner’. Plus it’s always good to have one man standing at the end of the night to take care of everyone.”

Having Lara as a mate has its extra perks too. Any booze she’s been given is always up for grabs, and her friends really appreciate her gesture – obviously.

“I could be seen as a cheap date. I made some friends at uni by giving them booze at fresher’s week, but it’s cool because I’d still rather just have a cherryade.”

A glass of the hard stuff (cherryade)

Now looking to the future then, Lara wants to be a children’s television presenter and says she can’t afford to roll into work with a hangover and sick bucket in tow.