Am I the perfect housemate?

I clean, cook and have my own car… I’m the ultimate student housemate

Or am I just a control freak?

I like to think of myself as the perfect (well, almost perfect) housemate. Bree Van De Kamp would commend me for my efforts.

Housework

I hate mess and dirtiness with a passion. I like my home to look like a show-house.

So when I see a jacket tossed over the sofa, I place it neatly on the coat-stand. And if there is a stain on the kitchen surface I generally will have to stop what I’m doing and clean it.

I have very high standards, but I don’t expect those who live with me to conform (I can only imagine how annoying it must be to live with someone who’s anally retentive!)

Cooking

Most people come to Uni with the basic culinary knowledge of how to make beans on toast. Though I had slightly more experience of cooking than most, I’ve made it my mission to hone my cooking skills so my housemates have enjoyable meals.

I love to cook and as I have the majority of my evenings off work, I do a great deal of the dinners for everybody. Plus because I’m a clean freak, the dishes are rarely dirty for long (though we have a dishwasher this year – life changer.)

Bills

I had no idea about sorting out utilities and paying bills until I went into second year, and unless you get on top of it quickly you end up getting ripped on an expensive electric/gas tariff or paying over the odds for broadband that’s slower than dial-up.

When it comes to living with me once you’ve moved in you’ll find I’ve already contacted all the utility providers and sorted it – “just set up a direct debit and I’ll take care of the rest”.

Transport

Yes I am one of those spoilt brats who got bought a car when I turned 18. But having a car at uni is an automatic plus in the eyes of your friends.

The weekly shop can be done without having to wait for a delivery time-slot and those hangover days are made so much easier by being able to access the McDonalds’ drive thru.

I’d say the only downside of having me as a housemate is that I do sometimes (every weekend) stumble into the house after a heavy night and make a lot of noise– and I have been guilty of eating others food to satisfy a drunk craving. Plus I don’t iron – again, spoilt child problems.