Eight places to eat in Newcastle that you’ve forgotten about

When is it ever a bad idea to eat out? Exactly

One of the most underrated things about Newcastle is the amazing selection of food that it has to offer; so much selection, in fact, that you’ve probably forgotten about some of it.

Whether it’s recommendations from friends, or your Instagram saved album stuffed with food pics, we’re here to remind you of some of the best food joints in the Toon. Not sure where to bring your parents when they next visit? Impress them with some banging food and thank us later.

Frankie & Tony’s

The GOAT of sandwich shops in toon. Frankie and Tony’s offer a wide range of fillings and bread choices and they’re sandwiches are absolutely huge. We’re not kidding.

You’ll more than likely be greeted with a queue if you choose to visit at lunchtime so we recommend you use this time to choose your order. The New York Swiss on Italian ciabatta is amazing, as is the Frankie and Tony’s Club on a white knot. Don’t wait till third year to try this place.

Thali Tray

This Indian street food place is at the top of our recommendation list. Located at Stepney Bank, Thali Tray is as authentic as Indian food comes.

The presentation on a tray is both authentic and aesthetic and the food is even better.

If you’re new to Indian cuisine or aren’t really sure what you like, they let you choose two different curries to put on your tray. They even have gluten, nut, and meat free vegan options, making this place super accessible .

SLICE

It’s worth a trip down to Grainger Market simply for a taste of pizza by the slice. They are absolutely huge and are great value for money. Again, expect queues, but they go down quickly and its defo worth the wait.

The perfect destination for a lunch treat when you’ve got an awkward gap between lectures. Note: they only take cash.

Zucchini Pasta Bar

Pasta lovers, listen up. Zucchini serve a huge selection of fresh pasta and have glowing reviews.

Their garlic bread is top tier and if you’re still not convinced, they serve cocktails with a pasta straw. Worth going just for the insta pic if you ask us.

Plus, they do student discount.

Lola Jeans

Lola Jeans is so, so good. If the award winning burgers aren’t for you, the chicken tacos are possibly the best in Newcastle.

The decor inside is beaut, perfect for a birthday meal or special occasion. Also, their cocktail menu is both delicious and hilarious – we recommend ordering the “Live, Laugh, F**k Off” just for the laughs.

See below the Black Betty and Tequila Old Fashioned.

Redheads

Defo a place worth mentioning, Redheads are unbeaten when it comes to mac ‘n’ cheese. The Philly Cheesesteak and Chorizo pots pictured below are both 10/10. Mega filling and mega tasty, if you haven’t been you’re mega behind.

Not feeling the walk? Get it delivered courtesy of Deliveroo. A great hangover cure.

The Dispensary

We’re all big fans of The Dispensary but that jaunt up to St James’ isn’t as frequent as it once was for many. Luckily, they have a location in STACK too, with Pancake Day reminding us how absolutely amaze their fluffy stacks are.

Why not host your next coffee date there and impress your pals with a drip iced coffee or candy floss hot choc?

Infusion 2018

If you haven’t already been lured in from the street by their cooking smells alone, you need to try Infusion 2018.

Tucked away round by St James’, Infusion 2018 is an authentic Chinese restaurant that we highly recommend.

Exchange your weekend takeaway for a meal at Infusion and a cheeky pint at Trent House on the way home.