I-Fingering: Coming Soon?

Fingerprint attendance a real possibility

New steps towards monitoring student attendance could be about to include fingerprint technology as the UK Border Agency increases pressure on a crack down on international student scams.

In Newcastle University’s memorandum in March it was stated, “we need to consider biometric option which are being increasingly recognised as the only way for a large organization to fully comply with the UKBA requirements”.

Although the aim is to record the attendance of foreign students, British students too will be subjected to the new plans to upgrade the universities system.

It has now become the case that any student that misses two days of lectures can be subjected to punishment by the institution. This is despite the fact that some departments state that attendance is ‘advisory’ and not compulsory.

The Newcastle Free education Network staged a protest on Monday outside the union, including building their own fingerprint scanner to make a point. Students seemed surprised at the demonstration, as no announcement has yet been made by the university about the move.

Luke Neal, Community Officer at the Student Union, stated, “None of the students I have talked to about attendance monitoring today knew that the university were considering these measures”

“This is indicative of the university’s approach – unaccountable and unheard of.”

According to Pete Cambell. NFEN, “ The University seems intent to scan students into every lecture, even though the UKBA are only asking for twice a week from International Students”

At present over 40,000 student cards are in circulation for security purposes across the university, used by staff and students.

It appears that there is a fair chance that the University is intent on turning the establishment into a police state which has serious implications for the institution.