Man airlifted to hospital after bus and tram crash in Manchester city centre

Police have closed off Mosley Street and parts of Piccadilly Gardens

Four people have been injured after bus and a tram crashed into each other in Manchester City Centre.

Passengers on both vehicles were evacuated after the bus turned a corner and crashed into a Metrolink tram at around 2:13pm. bus tram crashed manchester

The crash happened on Mosley Street this afternoon, and eyewitnesses heard a loud bang as the two vehicles struck each other.  An eyewitness at Piccadilly Gardens when the crash occurred told The Manchester Tab how they heard a “very loud sudden boom,” which they initially thought might have been an explosion.

Both vehicles, Metrolink carriage and Stagecoach bus, were traveling at moderate speed and were considerably damaged by the impact.

Firefighters, paramedics, police and an air ambulance all attended the scene after the bus and tram crashed in Manchester

Four people are being treated, including one with suspected serious injuries. An eyewitness reported to The Manc that the tram driver is being airlifted to the nearest hospital. The bus driver was also reportedly seen being cut from the cab and given oxygen by emergency responders.

bus tram crashed manchester

Photos of the crash show the bus driver’s cabin to be concaved, whilst the windshield of the tram carriage is completely crumpled.

Police have closed off Mosley Street and parts of Piccadilly Gardens and are currently demanding that members of the public keep away. Manchester Fire Service and an air ambulance are on the scene.

bus tram crashed manchester

Metrolink services from Eccles to Ashton, MediaCityUK to Etihad Campus and Bury/Altrincham to Piccadilly are currently suspended, while other services through the city centre are being diverted via Exchange Square, albeit with delays.

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• Our top booze-free activities in Manchester for a Sober October

• 10 places to take your date in Manchester (with prices included)

• From the Armo to Muscle Manor: What your Manchester gym says about you