Georgie Mandy’s First Marriage tango

Creator of Georgie & Mandy’s First Marriage explains why they tango in opening sequence

It was a rogue choice

The first episode of the highly anticipated Young Sheldon spinoff Georgie & Mandy’s First Marriage was released this week, and within minutes of the episode starting the two main characters started doing a very feisty tango dance together, sort of out of nowhere.

It felt a bit out of left field and as it took part in the opening title sequence we’ll have to see whether this is a one off for this episode or if will happen for every one of them. But, co-creator of Georgie & Mandy’s First Marriage has now explained exactly why the main characters are doing the tango, and what it represents for them.

Via Warner Bros

He revealed: “We wanted something that would be interesting and unique to the show. These days a lot of shows don’t even do title sequences, but we felt, especially in the Big Bang world, the title sequences have always been such an identifiable piece.

“When we were talking about the themes of the show, Steven Molaro, my co-creator, pitched the idea of the tango and it seemed surprising in a great way. It also seemed to really encapsulate the push-pull of this relationship.

“This relationship has a lot of love and passion, but they also have a lot of struggles and fights and the tango just seemed to really sum all that up. It’s also the last thing you expect to see when you’re watching this sitcom.

As for what Emily Osment and Montana Jordan thought of the dance routine, Emily admitted: “There’s the immediate reaction of fear, and then you get excited about it. Montana and I worked with two incredible choreographers from Dancing With the Stars, and we just had the best time.”
Montana added: “We might have done a little bit of two-stepping down in Texas, but that’s about it. We definitely weren’t doing no tangoing. It wasn’t on my bucket list, but I’m glad I know it now. And I feel a whole lot looser now that I’ve done those moves.”

• Young Sheldon viewers spot a confusing time gap error from Georgie and Mandy’s marriage

• Brisket, David Hasselhoff and RadioShack: These are the cringiest Young Sheldon episodes

• Still sad over the ending of Young Sheldon? Here is where you can watch the cast next

Featured image via Warner Bros.