Our top booze-free activities in Manchester for a Sober October

Make some uni mems you can definitely tell your family about

Now that freshers’ week(s) is over, you might be feeling a little bit fragile and ready to pick yourself back up out of the takeaway wrappers and midday wake ups. Maybe you even fancy taking on the challenge of Sober October and attending your 9am lectures. Or not, we’re not your parents.

If you’re looking for some wholesome and booze free activities around Manchester, we’ve selected a few of the cheapest, crunchiest options. 

Platt Fields Market Garden

The hidden gem to top all hidden gems, Platt Fields Market Garden is a community run endeavour from MUD. Grab a healthy, locally sourced bite to eat at the MUD Kitchen, or simply enjoy the benefits of the urban green space. The market garden hosts a Farmers’ Market on the first Sunday of every month, boasting some seriously good independent produce. 

Yoga at Withington Baths 

Even if your limbs click at the ripe old age of 19, these daily yoga sessions at Withington Baths accommodate for all levels of (un)fitness. With classes held in the former female bathing area, the stained glass windows and sky lights will have you forgetting about what you did last night in 45 minutes or less, for only £6. A small price to pay for fear-free fun. 

Take a stroll around Fletcher Moss Park

For the most budget friendly option, drag out all your housemates and make the pilgrimage down to Didsbury. Nothing will make you feel more put together than clearing your head in the botanical gardens. Follow the River Mersey to Chorlton Water Park for a longer trek, or bring your bikes. 

Visit Manchester Museum 

Sure, it’s something you walk past every day, but you’ve likely never found the time to visit. If you’re as obsessed with the giant crab as the rest of us, go in and take a poke around – it’s free! Stretch your dinosaur knowledge and get some fun pics for insta while you’re there. 

Try your hand at baking 

Sure, you could sit and watch bake-off with your flatmates, but why not go all out and make a real mess of the kitchen. There’s no assignment stress that can’t be cured by making an unreasonable amount of crumbles to share with friends. You can save the argument about who has to clean up until after.

Catch a gig 

Who said a good night out needs to end in ibuprofens and Berocca? Manchester isn’t short of new talent or independent venues, so broaden your Spotify playlists and impress your hinge dates with your musical expertise. Check out this article for suggestions – for most, you can be back in bed before midnight. 

See a film at HOME

No matter your preference, HOME has something for everyone. Ranging from big blockbusters to niche independent cinema, you’ll never get caught unaware by a bragging film student again. And, with student deals, it’s far cheaper than your local chain cinema.

Visit Altrincham Markets 

Whilst it’s not the most cost-effective way to spend a Sunday, it’s one way to forget you’re a student. Famous for its canteen style seating and quality food, its worth the hype.

Home to independent vendors and market stalls, you can find some cooking inspo or root through vintage records. Plus, who doesn’t love the tram and its gorgeous toot?