It’s time someone said it: Croydon is the best place in the world

At least the most underrated

cs

When my flatmate – who’s from Teesside – shared something about the 50 most dangerous drinking spots in the UK, I was adamant our beloved Croydon would be there. Why wouldn’t it be? For years it’s carried the stigma like a really bad smell. I was so eager to see Croydon represented, I was shouting about it making the cut before I’d even checked. But Croydon wasn’t on the list. It was bewildering to find no mention of CR0. I pondered, triple checking the list – it definitely wasn’t there. And that’s when it hit me: Croydon is nice now.

When the hospital changed its name, we should have known

I’m not sure exactly when this tidal wave of change broke, but I’m suspicious it was ignited when Mayday (affectionately referred to as “May-die”), a hospital absolutely none of us are proud of, changed its name to Croydon University Hospital. If this wasn’t the exact time of change (2010), then it at least acted as some sort of catalyst for what’s been happening in front of our eyes ever since.

The Fairfield Halls sum it up

Croydon’s always had a certain pizazz in a sort of terrifying, might-get-stabbed-at-any-second kind of way, best summed up by the Fairfield Halls. Above ground there’s cutsie pantomimes and shows, and a stage which has seen national treasures like Genesis, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Who, Queen and even Bucks Fizz perform. Yet underneath there’s a dingy, terrifying car park which probably inspired the Devil when he created hell, a car park you wouldn’t wish even your worst enemy to brave alone. Croydon’s a place of contrast, of cool things like IKEA to horrible places like that car park.

#Croydonboys

Shopping is actually going to be good soon

The Whitgift Centre’s alright at the moment, but in contrast with the Flamingo-owning school whose name-sake it shares, it’s really quite shit. But it’s fine because it’s going to be an unbelievable Westfield by the end of 2019. God knows what we’ll do in the mean time, Centrale is horrendously under-stocked, but when that tasty £1.5 billion investment drops, Croydon will be even better.

It’s insanely diverse

When you think about it, and I know it doesn’t always feel like it, Croydon is, and always has been, one of the most fantastically diverse areas in the UK. Ethnically, religiously, culturally, Croydon has it all. From the posh houses on the Webb Estate to the council houses in Thornton Heath, the range of people is like nowhere else.

Big up

It’s this immense diversity which gives rise to incredible creatives and inspiring people like Kate Moss, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Ronnie Corbett. Croydon artists dominated the MOBO awards back in November, with locals Stormzy, Krept and Konan, Section Boyz and Faith Child taking home six of the 14 gongs. Bring in BRIT school alumni like Adele and Amy Winehouse and it’s pretty clear Croydon is the place for young creatives.

It’s like Canary Wharf but better

It’s financially booming: home to over 12,000 businesses, outrageous transport links to London, Brighton and beyond, and a population approaching 400,000 lapping it all up, there’s little doubt it’s the place to be for fans of culture. This sense of creative entrepreneurialism is epitomised perfectly by the development of Shoreditch’s Boxpark right next to East Croydon station.

It’s in our blood

A lot has changed in Croydon and many will tell you it’s improving from shit to less shit, but the truth is it’s always been amazing. TigerTiger (RIP) saw the coming of age for countless 18 year olds in CR-region, nights spent in the White Room are fondly remembered by thousands, generations of Crystal Palace fans have continued to be the best fans in the world and the Purley Way has hosted as many sick birthday parties as it has sold cars.

Croydon might be remembered by the UK for riots and violence, but the locals have known for years what people elsewhere are only just starting to discover now: Croydon is the best borough in London, the best town in the world, and I for one, am proud to call myself a Croydon boy.

We are searching for the UK’s best hometown. Send your nomination to [email protected].