‘Bright, brilliant and brave’ LSE student killed in bike collision with rubbish lorry

Cheistha Kochhar collided with a refuse truck last Tuesday and died at the scene

A PhD student at the London School of Economics, originally from India, has died after her bike collided with a refuse truck in Farringdon.

33 year-old Cheistha Kochhar was pronounced dead at the scene on the 19th of March 2024.

The driver of the vehicle reportedly stopped at the scene and is cooperating with the police with the Metropolitan Police confirming that no arrests have been made and that an inquiry is ongoing.

The accident occurred on Clerkenwell Road near the junction with Farringdon Road, as Cheistha was cycling home from LSE with her husband.

Cheistha’s husband was cycling several metres ahead of her and turned back when he heard a loud noise.

She is believed to have collided with a refuse vehicle, according to the police.

A Met Police spokesperson said: “The lorry, believed to be a garbage vehicle, stopped at the scene. The driver is helping with the probe.”

Cheistha was studying for a PhD in behavioural science at the London School of Economics.

Writing on X, a former colleague called her “bright, brilliant & brave and always full of life.” He also said that she had “gone away too early.”

In a tribute on his LinkedIn page, her father wrote: “I am still in London trying to collect the remains of my daughter, Cheistha Kochhar. She was run over by a truck on 19th March while cycling back from LSE, where she was doing her PhD.

“It has devastated us and her large circle of friends.”

• London student may have died from long term implications of laughing gas, inquest hears

SOAS and Met Police criticised over search for missing student as body pulled from Thames

• Protestors ‘rename’ UCL Student Centre honouring Palestinian alumnus killed in Gaza

Featured Image via Google Maps and @amitabhk87 on X