UCL libraries to be open 24/7 during exam period

A collective sigh of relief throughout Bloomsbury

The libraries will be opening 24/7 in the 10 weeks leading up to exams and during the revision period.

The UCL Main Library, the Science Library and the Cruciform Hub will be extending their opening times, with security and self-service facilities for the exchange of books at students’ service.

The three libraries are already open from Monday morning through to Saturday evening, closed from 9pm on Saturday until 11am on Sunday, and from 9pm on Sunday until 8:45am on Monday.

I’m not even saying you have to come here

The decision was made after response from the National Student Survey listing longer library hours as high on many students’ wish lists.

Additional library changes include the Chadwick computer cluster being open through the Christmas closure period, in addition to the Roof Garden Hub (which is open to all UCL students) and the Graduate Hub (open to postgraduate students).

Dr Paul Ayris, Director of Library Services said that the new opening hours would give students the chance “to study what they want when they want, and supports varying learning styles and patterns. Our students have told us they want to be able to study at our libraries at a time convenient to them, and I am pleased to say we are now able to offer them the choice to study on campus at any time”.

Wahida Samie, UCLU Education and Campaign Officer, was pleased the student body had succeeded in campaigning for 24/7 library openings, saying it would help greatly “for one of the most intense periods of the year”.