Liverpool student creates petition demanding more mental health support during lockdown

The petition also calls for extensions on assessment deadlines and a ‘safety-net’ policy

Over 2,000 students have signed a petition asking UoL for more mental health support during the Covid-19 lockdown.

The petition outlines the difficulties of completing studies during the lockdown, highlighting issues with numerous deadlines around the Christmas holiday despite not being able to access help from academic staff.

The author demands three outcomes from the University: Provide a safety net for all students, extend assessment deadlines (accounting for festivities and the new national lockdown), do more to support student mental health and wellbeing.

The petition says that students have felt that coping in this situation is difficult: “Coping with the stresses of University work during a pandemic has not been easy and we feel that the support offered to us by the University has not been proportionate to this struggle.

“In respect of this, we believe we should receive extended assessment deadlines and, importantly, a safety net similar to that in Summer 2020.”

The author continues to expand on mental health support concerns: “Mental health support has been insufficient. It is vital to protect student mental health and well-being at this unprecedented time.

“The number of students suffering with mental health issues is on the rise at a staggering rate, which is exacerbated by the drastic increase in workload and the uncertainty surrounding online learning.”

The petition ends by saying: “Whilst this is not the fault of the University, the wellbeing advice on offer does little to abet these issues.”

To sign the petition, please click here.

The University of Liverpool has been contacted for a comment.