Where to take your folks in Liverpool when they nag you to let them visit

DON’T take them to The Raz

Finding things to do with your parents or family can be hard, seeing as everything can’t revolve around drinking like it usually does… unless you have a lit family. We have you covered on guaranteeing your folks’ approval when they make their inevitable trip to visit you.

Museums

This is the obvious choice, we know, but this always goes down well with any family members visiting. You have a range of museums to visit in Liverpool, and one of our favourites is the Tate. It has plenty of modern exhibitions  that appeal to the most annoying of younger siblings. Plus, its free! No need for the bank of mum and dad here.

Museum of Liverpool is also a good one to rely on and the new ‘Liverpool on Wheels’ exhibition will probably get your dad’s approval. There are plenty of other museums to choose as well, from the Slavery museum to the Beatles Museum and the Open Eye Gallery, and with most of them being by the docks you can tie in a nice walk along the riverside.

Sefton Park

If you fancy a bit of fresh air, or your parents bring your favourite member of the family (your dog), then why not take them to the famous Sefton park. You could go for a morning stroll or really push the boat out and grab an afternoon coffee at the Palm House.

If your parents have already visited Liverpool quite a few times, Sefton is definitely a pretty change of scenery, especially if you live in Smithdown as it’s right around the corner.

Bold Street

Since you’re gonna have to get food at some point, why not get your parents to splash out on some lovely food on the quirky Bold Street! It has a great range of scran from Mexican to Italian, from vegan to breakfast food. Definitely get yourself along to places like Leaf, Crust, Maray, La Parrilla and Mowgli. You can even pop in to some of the vintage and retail shops if you fancy it.

Mathew Street

Situated in the Cavern Quarter in the heart of city is Liverpool’s most famous road, Mathew Street, most notable because of the Cavern Club where The Beatles often performed in the early stages of their career.

Mathew Street is visited by thousands of tourists to see te John Lennon statute, Beatles store and several pubs formally frequented by The Beatles.

This is a good spot to spend the afternoon in, although maybe not the best idea if your family hate the Beatles. But let’s face it, who over the age of 50 doesn’t love them?

Lark Lane

If you fancy doing something outside of the city centre, maybe on a low-key Sunday, this is an absolute gem! Just over a 10-minute drive from town (and only five from Smithdown) this cute little street holds various cafes, vintage shops and quirky boutiques, perfect for your grandma to even buy some very Scouse souvenirs to remember the trip. Definitely not a well-known choice, but one worth looking at.

Hopefully we have given you some good ideas if you’re panicking from parents springing last minute plans on you, especially if you’re in third year now and your bank of ideas to show your folks how cultured you are has run dry!

Related stories recommended by this author: