Image may contain: City, Building, Town, Urban, Asphalt, Tarmac, Freeway, Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, Road, Person, Human

Merseyrail are considering reopening Smithdown Road train station

Lime Street to Smithdown please

Liverpool is home to dozens of "ghost stations" which have been disused for decades. Smithdown Road station, known formally as Sefton Park station, has been out of service for nearly five decades. However, this closure could come to an end, with The Liverpool Echo reporting that Merseytravel have pinpointed the area as somewhere that may be greeted with a new rail link.

Smithdown has been a student area for years, and the potential of a new station could bring about an added ease of public services for residents and students alike.

The old station is currently the C&G Finishes building, a paint shop located by the railway bridge on Smithdown Road. Although the railway line and bridge are still in tact, a new site for the station would need to be established.

However, it is not all good news for Liverpool students. Currently plans are that the station is one of many that could come back into use "over the next 30 years" – so if the station is to reopen it will not to be the benefit of the city's current students.

Amongst other potential sites for reopening and reestablishing are Speke Station, St James Station, Edge Lane Station, and Anfield Station. These sites are part of a wider Merseytravel objective in identifying potential long-term and short-term railway schemes that could benefit commuters in Liverpool.