Image may contain: Path, Apartment Building, Alley, Alleyway, Outdoors, Transportation, Vehicle, Train, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, High Rise, Downtown, Metropolis, City, Road, Town, Street, Human, Person, Building, Neighborhood, Urban

Concert Square fire last night hospitalises three people

Four fire engines attended the scene

Emergency services attended a fire last night at 2am following reports of a fire in a third floor flat in Concert Square, resulting in three people being taken to hospital this morning.

Reports suggest that two people were rescued from a balcony on the second floor, whilst the third was rescued by crews from inside the flat.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue told the Echo that four fire engines attended the incident, with six equipped firefighters entered the building.

The fire was extinguished at approximately 3.30am, meaning that Concert Square was partially sealed until 4am.

Tom, a third year student at the University of Liverpool, told The Liverpool Tab: "It’s great that everyone was rescued and taken to hospital so quickly. In such a busy area of town, full of drunk students celebrating Valentine’s, it’s a real testament to the fire service that nobody else got hurt."

A fire service spokesman told the Echo: "All three people have been assessed at the scene by paramedics from North West Ambulance Service and taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

"The fire has now been extinguished by crews using hose reel jets and ventilation is in progress. Crews are continuing to search the remainder of the property."

The fire service added that an investigation into the cause of the blaze would soon be initiated.