Liverpool remembers Hillsborough all over the city

On the anniversary of the event Liverpool are remembering the 96 through tributes

hillsborough Hillsborough Disaster JFT96 liverpool

Today marks 27 years since the Hillsborough disaster.

On the 15th of April 1989, 96 people were killed and 766 injured at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield.

All over the city today, the people of Liverpool have been paying tributes to those lost and hurt during the disaster.

Last night was Anfield stadium’s last memorial service, The Hillsborough Family Support Group announced earlier this year. The famillies of the victims wanted to keep the services going for as long as it took to get new inquests into what happenned that day. The inquests jury retired to consider their verdicts over one week ago, but will not deliberate today.

Ellie, a second year English student who was at the final Anfield remembrance service told The Tab:

I’ve worked at Anfield for over a year and never have I experienced goosebumps like I did at the start of yesterday’s match. The respects paid by Dortmund were fantastic and now to see the whole city coming together at 3:06pm is just quite beautiful.”

The city also payed tributes to the 96 in many ways across the city, and will hold a minutes silence at 3.06pm, the time the match was stopped.

Today the city will fall silent for a minute and public transport is expected to come to a halt. Prayers will be read at the Anglican Cathedral before the minute’s silence.

The barriers will be lowered at the Mersey tunnels for one minute and flags will be flown at half mast on civic buildings. The Mersey Ferry will sound its horn and bells will be rung 96 times at the town hall, Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral and the Municipal Building.

Arriva buses have had “Remembering the 96” on their route display signs for their double and single decker buses including the 699, 86, 75, 80, 80A, and 76 and on routes to Merseyside destination such as Anfield, Halewood, Huyton, Hanover Street, Garston and Queens Square. They have also encouraged their drivers to pull over and switch their engines off at 3.06pm to join the minute of silence.

The bus company also posted about the tribute on Facebook.

In more visual tributes to the 96, the Forever 21 screen, the Lime Street media wall, and the M62 digital screens display the words ‘Never Forgotten.’ The Museum of Liverpool will display the number 96 in three metre-high figures near the front entrance and the national museums of Liverpool are also taking part in the minute’s silence. The Radio City Tower has highlighted the numbers “96.”

#JFT96, (Justice For The 96) has been trending on Twitter with a evergrowing 52,000 tweets using the hashtag. Many Liverpudlian celebrities and politicians have been posting messages to show their respect, such as John Bishop, Steven Gerrard, and MP for Wallasey, Angela Eagle.

The Football Clubs, Everton and Liverpool football clubs have also payed online tributes.

The Tab sends their love and respects to those lost, and their families.