Prospective Liverpool student walks free from court after three day trial

She is coming to study History and Politics this September

bank of love court feed feeding help the homless homeless homelessness law liverpool court society

Ellie Longman and Anne Cawson walked free from court on Thursday, as charges against them were dropped, relating to their involvement at the ‘Bank of Love’ last May on Castle Street.

In May the women were involved in a sit-in protest regarding homelessness, austerity, and capitalism which eventually resulted in a court order against the building.

The trial lasted three days

As a result of the court order the police attempted to remove all of the individuals inside.

During this time, the bank became a soup kitchen and provided food and clothing to many of the homeless people  in Liverpool.

When the building was cordoned off, Ellie Longman stood accused of attempting to throw sandwiches up to the individuals participating in the occupation of the ‘Bank of Love.’

Last week Ellie and Anne walked free after a gruelling three day trial where the judge announced they were not guilty.

Two other Liverpool residents, Amanda Boyle and Kim Scott who were also involved in the sit-in protest have had their cases adjourned.

On the last day of the trial, Amanda was asked: “You just don’t care about the law do you?”

In response, Amanda had to remind the prosecutors that feeding a hungry person is not against the law:

“What law? It’s not a crime to feed someone.”

On speaking about the not guilty verdict, Ellie said: “I’m ecstatic I really am, almost a year later and it’s finally over.

“I’m so glad the truth prevailed, I will continue to feed and help the homeless.”

One supporter at the court on Thursday spoke highly of the love activists, they said: “What they did last year was great, I just cannot believe Ellie has had to come to court so many times, especially when she is at college and working too.

“It’s such a waste of time. Merseyside police and the CPS should hang their head in shame.

“Not enough money for junior doctors, the NHS or legal aid but money to prosecute people for throwing sandwiches, typical. How convenient.”

One friend of Ellie, who wishes to remain anonymous told The Tab: “To be honest with you, I cant believe I’ve just sat in court for three hours listening to prosecutors go on about someone throwing sandwiches.

“The police are  very quick to mention the cost of protest clean ups, well what about the costs of these pathetic court trials?”

Beth Meadows, President of Help the Homeless society spoke exclusively to The Tab about the trial, she said: “Being criminalized for feeding homeless people is absolutely not acceptable in today’s society.

“I hope Ellie will consider joining our team next year and continuing the great work we do for the homeless people of Liverpool.”

Merseyside Police were unavailable for comment.