“No one could wake them”: six people found collapsed in halls after sniffing GEEBS

Legal high GEEBS responsible for the shock collapse of six people in Borden and Victoria halls – all in the past week

• Legal high GEEBS is exploding in popularity amongst students in Liverpool
  • In the past week alone, six people have been admitted to hospital
  • Three more people were hospitalised last night after they collapsed in Victoria Hall student accommodation

Six people found collapsed in student halls have been rushed to hospital after sniffing GEEBS.

The second incident in a week saw three males rushed to hospital from Victoria Hall

It’s supposed to be used as an alloy wheel cleaner, but now GEEBS is to blame for the collapse of six people in student halls – all in the past week.

On Sunday, a girl aged 16 and two men aged 20 and 22, were found collapsed at Borden Court after attending a house party on Lawrence Road in Wavertree – and they’re all thought to have sniffed the legal high.

Now, three MORE males have been rushed to hospital after emergency services rescued them from Victoria Hall student accommodation. They were were rushed to hospital from the halls in the city centre last night after consuming the drug.

The latest incident occurred at student flats in Liverpool city centre

On Sunday, two men aged 20 and 22, and a female aged 16 years, were found collapsed in Borden Court – they’d been out to a few clubs in town and visited a house party on Lawrence Road, Wavertree.

It’s at the house party that they’re thought to have got their hands on the substance.

And it was only yesterday that the three, who were left in intensive care after consuming the legal high, were finally discharged. A man, 19 from Worlsey, has since been arrested under suspicion of supplying the chemical.

A Liverpool John Moores student, who was at the party, told The Tab she has no idea why they took the stuff. She said:

“Personally I don’t know why anyone would do it, I don’t see the appeal and it ruined a perfectly good night.

“I saw people sniffing something throughout the night but I assumed it was Amazon poppers. A few of my friends were offered some but when they heard it was geebs they were confused as to why anyone would want to sniff it.

“Everyone seemed fine at the party but once the people moved on to the next house they seemed to collapse and no one could wake them.”

The drug has been linked to three deaths back in 2012

And now, in a second shocking incident, emergency services were called to Victoria Halls at Hatton Garden last night after three men were thought to have taken the legal high. They were taken to Royal Liverpool University Hospital and have since been discharged.

But this isn’t the first time the dangerous drug has claimed several victims – the drug, which is Class C when intended for consumption, has already been linked to three deaths back in 2012.

The first three victims are said to have bought GEEBS from a party on Lawrence Rd

The police have strenuously stated it should be avoided as it has dangerous side effects and can lead to criminal prosecutions. Detective Superintendent Chris Green said:

“They have been remarkably lucky, the medical staff at the hospital told me just that.

“If the ambulance staff hadn’t been able to get them to hospital as fast as they did it could have been potentially fatal.

“We want to send a warning message out that you have to got to know what you’re putting into your body. These chemicals are not designed for human consumption.

“This chemical, GEEBS, has got terrible side effects, in terms of insomnia and paranoia.

“It is quite often mixed with other substances and that cocktail can cause huge health issues.”

He added: “This latest incident shows how important it is to listen to our warning about the effects this substance can have.

“Thankfully these men have not suffered serious effects, however I would like to re-iterate my warning to students and young people that if taken, GEEBS, which is actually a chemical used to clean alloy wheels, can have serious side effects and can kill, even in small doses.”

The property on Lawrence Road where three people collapsed after taking GEEBS

Geebs is a clear liquid often drank in a shot glass mixed with fruit juice or sniffed. The liquid turns into the potentially fatal gammahydroxybutrate (GHB) when in the body.

And like many legal highs, it is illegal to sell for human consumption. It’s sometimes described as liquid ecstasy because of similar effects to the drug.

Geebs can have mental effects such as amnesia and paranoia or lead to users entering a coma and potentially causing death.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.