UoL Staff Set to Strike

Students are advised to ‘stock up on beans’ in preparation for the strike.

UNISON officials have advised students at UoL to ‘stock up on beans’ after fears emerge that over 350 members of staff will strike as early as November.

The announcement comes as 79% of UNISON members at the university rejected revised contracts which could force them to work over 35 hours a week, at weekends and bank holidays – without being paid overtime.

The union has warned the walk out will affect everything from building access to catering as kitchen porters, cooks and cleaners are all set on protesting.

University staff who refused to move over to the new contracts were threatened with three month’s notice of dismissal, even though they would have their jobs immediately offered back to them under the new terms.

The strike will mark the height of a tension that has been brewing across campus since UoL began to standardise terms and conditions in order to being ‘equity across the institution’.

Such a move meant 2,803 members of staff, including librarians, computer technicians and groundsmen, were up for dismissal.

A University of Liverpool spokesperson said: “We are disappointed that agreement could not be reached with UNISON.

“The plans to implement changes to terms and conditions – which include three years pay protection for those impacted – are fair and generous.”

Like The Tab  on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.