Don’t say that! you might offend someone…

Olivia Harding discusses “the birth and steamrolling effect of political correctness.”

The scope for University students to express themselves, discuss interesting issues and  engage in ‘banter’ has become unhealthily censored since the birth and steamrolling effect of political correctness.

Recognition of minor differences among social groups and stereotypes are inherent in human nature.  As a multicultural society which is progressively growing and advancing, we should embrace this reality.

However, the constant question on peoples’ minds it this idea of ‘thought police’.  Where do we draw the line between what is healthy, natural and good-humoured banter and what could potentially be interpreted as distasteful slander?

Any form of discrimination – be it racial, sexual or whatever, is clearly unnecessary and in fairness should be addressed.  But when the general infrastructure of language is being compromised for the sake of nit-picking at negligible details, should this not be regarded as going slightly overboard?

As a female myself, I’m all for equal entitlements in terms of issues regarding economic and political opportunity.  However, is a wolf-whistle on your way to Uni really such an infringement on your rights as a female?  Although some think so, it seems a pity that this can’t simply be smiled at as flirtatious, good-natured fun and let it go.

As University students, we will inevitably pay taxes in the next couple of years.  Does it comfort you girls, to know that taxpayers’ money contributed to the nationwide adjustment of the ‘manned’ sign on a tunnel booth to become ‘staffed’ so as not to distinguish between male and female ability?

Billy Connolly collectively groups these thinkers who feel they are being wronged by social barriers as “beigists.” It’s these people who cannot seem to understand than it’s nothing personal and that it is simply the way in which language has universally developed. Are we honestly offended by words such as ‘mankind’ and ‘manhole cover’?

It seems avid critics of ‘the norm’ are reading into things much more than is necessary, and in doing so, are ruining it for those they seek to protect.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.