Polka: The Verdict

Resident reviewer, Conor Peacock, give his verdict on Polka’s launch night, 25th January, 2013.

New club nights come and go remarkably often, with the average student receiving numerous event invitations daily (dependant on how many promoters you’re ‘friends’ with). Each strives to grab and maintain your attention, usually with the promise of previously unseen levels of debauchery and night-cheapness. Or by booking The Situation.

During the never ending hell-hole that was January’s exams, students of Liverpool were no doubt sifting through the calendar on the lookout for something to reward themselves with come the 25th.

This is where Polka stepped in – a brand new night started by Liverpool University students, with the unique ethos “to showcase up and coming acts in intimate and unique settings […] to become a collective of like-minded individuals including DJs, promoters and music enthusiasts”.

Their first night was announced early January to much underground buzz, with Hot Creations’ newcomer Cera Alba headlining the esoteric venue of The Williamson Tunnels.

Polka was faced with its first challenge when it became clear late on Friday that Liverpool was in for arctic levels of snow – many had issues with taxis to and from the venue not arriving, reflected by the sold-out event never truly filling the length of the tunnel.

The venue consisted of an arched roof with ample space for a stage and speakers set-up at one end, and the near 200 capacity crowd taking up the rest. Aiming to walk the fine line between price and quality, the bar at the rear provided 3 jagerbombs for £5 all night, along with an array of equally priced booze.

The music started at 10 with residents Dom Leverment, Harry Sheehan and Orfan filling the all too appropriate warm up slot for the snow covered early birds. Effortlessly mixing elements of deep house and disco together, they created a positive atmosphere that defied the frosty temperature and even managed to coerce some people onto the stage.

Freddie’s well-known for his bizarre dance moves (EYG 5th birthday, anyone?)

As punters got into the swing of things and the balloon sales truly got going, main man Cera Alba took control with an unassuming wave to the crowd. While still being a relatively recent name in house music, he’s racked up an impressive variety of releases on 8 separate labels. The intimate, low roof of the venue suited Cera Alba’s music style perfectly – long, reverb drenched build ups filling the tunnel to the very back. The crowd were receptive of his original tracks as well as better known ones from the likes of Hot Since 82 and other label mates. Deep sounds continued to impress as the end approached, occasionally prompting more stage invasions to delighted looks from the onlooking organisers.

As with any start-up with heady aspirations, there were teething problems for the organisers to take note of and improve for (hopefully) their next bookings. The cloakroom seemed slightly underprepared for the torrent of coats they received, sound levels causing some issues for the front of the crowd, and bouncers with more than a chip or two off their shoulder ready to kick out innocent (yes, really) Tab writers.

Speaking to punters shortly after the late closing time, all agreed that despite this, the combination of timing, music and people worked well – and while flagging taxis, even the blizzard couldn’t dampen spirits. If Polka can build on this success by sticking to their ethos, and continuing with quality bookings, the lucky ticket holders may have been given a glimpse of a future name in Liverpool’s vibrant music scene.

Like The Tab on facebook and follow us on Twitter.